Friday, May 23

I admire Sigalet a lot

I had to give a presentation on Rebif, a drug used to treat multiple sclerosis. While preparing for my presentation, I did a lot of research on the disease and the drug industry. During this preparation, I came to know a lot about Jordan Sigalet, a professional Canadian ice hockey player. He is a goaltender with the NHL's Boston Bruins. He has multiple sclerosis, but that never stopped him from achieving his goals! He is just 26 years old but his achievements are glorious. I really admire this person a lot. Soon after my birthday in the month of November 2007, I came to know that due to complications from multiple sclerosis, Sigalet collapsed at the 9:12 mark of the third period with 10:48 remaining, during a game with the Worcester Sharks. This happened on November 16, 2007 and my heart really cried for this person. Freelance videotape showed him face down on the ice. The puck was on the opposite end of the rink. When he left the building, Sigalet was awake and conscious. Many were thinking that he may not be able to get back to the ice hockey team. I was praying God that he should recover soon and get back rocking as usual. And, thank God, on January 12, 2008 he returned to the ice for the first time since collapsing during a game on Nov 16th. Recently, Sigalet was presented with the Terry Flanagan Memorial Award by Terry's brothers Denis and Mark in recognition of his determination, dedication and courage in his battle with multiple sclerosis.

According to Wikipedia, in December of 2004, Sigalet spoke publicly about his condition for the first time. Many fellow hockey players were inspired by him. In addition, he became the first goalie to hold the position of team captain at Bowling Green.

These days revealing about a condition like multiple sclerosis is rare, that too after achieving a top position in a particular field! Hats off to Sigalet! He has not only revealed it but is now an ambassador for the Multiple Sclerosis Rhode Island chapter. Sigalet is involved in a fundraiser supported by the Providence Bruins and medication Seriano called "Sigalet Saves For MS" that donates 20 dollars for every save he makes.

Sigalet says: "I treat MS like it's just another game I have to win. It's just a longer game." Whatte thought, I admire you Sigalet. Keep rocking! My wishes and prayers are always with you.

By Shilpa C Nangali

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type here.......:)